- Install in accordance with all national and local codes.
- Hire a professional electrician if you are not familiar or not comfortable with electrical work, or if the wiring in your electrical box differs from the pictures.
- A Neutral Wire is required.
iotty U1 Switch Components:
- 1 U1 Backplate [containing 4 wires (leads) labeled]:
- 1 ‘L’ - Line or ‘Live’ wire
- 1 ‘N’ - Neutral wire
- 2 RL1 wires - [a left lead wire and right lead wire]
- 1 Small Bag containing 2 screws and 4 screw caps (orange)
- 1 U1 Faceplate
Step 1) Turn OFF the power at the circuit breaker for the switch you are replacing.
Step 2) Verify power is off. Pull out your old switch and label your wires.
*The Ground Wire (Copper Wire) can be tucked neatly into the back of the box, iotty smart switch devices do not use a ground wire.
*The Neutral Wire (Normally White) is typically covered by a cap and has two or more wires twisted together inside the box.
*The Line Wire (Live) is what brings power to the box and is always active as long as the power supply is on.
*The Load Wire (Wire to fixture) is what brings power to the box and controls power to the fixture.
Step 3) The iotty U1 Smart Switch has 4 wires; labeled L (for Line/Live), N (Neutral), RL1 (2 wires for Line/Live or Load). Either of the RL1 wires can connect to the Line or Load.
- Connect ‘L’ to the Hot (Live) Wire.
- Connect the ‘N’ to the neutral and cap them off.
- The RL1 has 2 wires, connect either one to the load and the other to the L (Hot/Live) wire. If you have a ground wire (typically exposed copper) place it into the wall box neatly (it is not needed for install).
- Make sure the connections are strong by holding and pulling on the wires.
Step 4) Screw in the Backplate, using the holes as shown.
- Push all the wires back into the wall box and try to allow as much space as possible. (Do not push the wires using the back of the switch)
- Insert the Backplate in the wall and use the box screws to fasten.
- Position the switch so that the small buttons are located at the bottom and you can read the text right side up, as shown.
Step 5) Attach the Faceplate.
- With your hands only, carefully position the Faceplate so that the little circle is located at the bottom of the rectangle and apply gentle pressure with two fingers at the top and bottom of the Faceplate, you will hear the plate attach to the Backplate.
- Once installed, the Faceplate should not be loose or move.
- If necessary, to remove, pull away at the bottom of the device until you hear a click then lift off. Do not pull the Faceplate when removing, lift only. Please see our Help Article here for more information.
Step 6) Congratulations! Your U1 iotty Smart Switch is now installed and ready for use! Turn power ON at the circuit breaker.
- Download the iotty app and register/sign-in.
- Connect to your iotty Smart Switch Wi-Fi [IOTTY_serial-number].
- Now go to the Registration Instructions section here to finish installation.
How to identify your wires:
If you are unsure of your wires in your box please watch our Identifying your wires tutorial:
If your light is controlled by more than one switch, you have a Multi Way set up. Please go here for Multi Way instructions.
Issue: My Switch won’t power on / Does not light up.
- Light bulb(s) burned out.
- Breaker is OFF or tripped.
- Wiring error; Line, Load reversed.
1) Please reaffirm that the installation of your iotty smart switch matches the installation instructions above. If necessary turn OFF Power at the Breaker and rewire accordingly to the U1 Standard Installation Guide.
Issue: Sensitivity Issue / Touch Panel Unresponsive.
For Help with a Sensitivity Issue or if your touch panel is unresponsive, please go here.
Attached below are the instructions that can be found in the product box of every iotty U1 Smart Switch.
Tags: one gang, U-1, single switch, single, one, singe pole, light switch.